Sunday, March 10, 2013

Being Wary of the Ides of March

I spent much of today wondering why I was so tense and tired.

I've had a quiet, relaxing weekend.  Spent lots of time with my wonderful husband and adorable dog.  Ate some lovely food.  Watched some television.  Saw a completely stress-free, brain-candy movie.

So, how come my shoulders are tied up in knots?

Oh, right... remember this post?  (Probably not.  I posted it a year and a half ago.)

This Friday, I'll make my way to Rigshospitalet (my local hospital here in Copenhagen) for what might be the first of several meetings regarding getting tested for the gene I discussed in the above post.  My concerns about having the gene were a big part of what discussed with the doctor a few weeks ago.  As with most things when it comes to the Danish healthcare system, you go to your primary care doctor for any and all questions, and then that doctor will either treat you himself or give you a referral.  In this case, the referral was sent to the hospital and they sent me a letter with my appointment date.

That date is March 15th.

Life, your sense of poetry is not amusing.

It means missing a Danish class, and I've had to miss a few this module.  In fact, I'll be away on the day that they've scheduled our module 3 exam, so I will have to schedule to take it on a different day.  Hopefully missing a few classes won't jeopardize my chances of passing.

But let's be honest... getting this genetic test done is more important than whether or not I have to re-take 6 weeks of Danish classes.

In the meantime, I'll just hang out with my husband and my puppy and try not to think too much about it.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about the BRCA gene. I hope getting tested will at least give you the peace of mind that knowledge can bring, but most of all I hope that you are okay.
    I have breast cancer in my family, so even though I don't know how you feel, I understand parts of it and it is just so unfair.
    All the best,
    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kirsten. A bit of peace of mind is all I can ask for. Expect the worst, hope for the best, and all that jazz. :)

      Delete