Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Bureaucracy: A Comedy in One Billion Parts

This morning, I received the most helpful set of links about my Danish immigration yet, thanks to the lovely folks at europa.eu.

As I mentioned in this post, I've been having trouble finding anyone who, if they even respond to my emails, knows anything about how an EU national brings his non-EU wife with him to Europe.  The Danish Consulate General in New York City is completely unaware of any EU laws, and instead of referring me to the Danish Embassy in Washington D.C., they referred me to the Danish embassy in London.  I feel like that would only make sense if I were an English citizen.  I did go ahead and email London, But D.C. will be my next email.

Anyway, as I was saying, I actually received some helpful links today.  Links like this one, which seems to say that it will be as simple as me showing up with my passport and marriage certificate, and receiving a residence card.  It's a huge relief to read that, but they also sent another link (this one), which seems to say that I will need an entry visa.  Determining whether or not this is, in fact, the case has been today's frustration, and the reason I've been contacting Consulates and Embassies.

Some day, I will have all of the answers about this.  I just hope that day comes before the move.

1 comment:

  1. since you're an american citizen, you don't need to get a visa in advance to come to denmark.. the stamp you get in your passport at passport control is your "visa" which allows you into the schengen area for 90 days. obviously you would have to register here before the 90 days is up or you would be residing illegally in denmark.

    ReplyDelete