Tuesday, October 18, 2011

What to Expect When You're Expecting Smørrebrød

No, mom, I'm not pregnant.

This post is about Danish food.

I've only spent a little over two days in Denmark in my life so far, but from what I've seen, I'm a little concerned about the food situation. 

Okay, that's not entirely fair.  I'm a little concerned about traditional Danish food.  Specifcially, smørrebrød.  For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, smørrebrød is basically an open-faced sandwich on buttered rye bread.  It can be topped with all kinds of things, but is often topped with pickled herring. 

I'm not gonna lie, I just can't get into the pickled herring.

Alright, I may be overreacting.  I'm perfectly happy with smørrebrød topped with other things, and I do love me some capers.  I could just live without the herring. 

On the positive side, we had the best Thai food I've ever had in my life while we were in Copenhagen.  Seriously, it was amazing.  And by far the best meal we had while there.

And, as one might expect, the Danes are damn good at pastry.

Mmmm...danish...

3 comments:

  1. They are good at pastry but not the best ... :>

    ReplyDelete
  2. I for one can't wait to visit so you can take us to Noma: http://www.noma.dk/main.php?lang=en. Is the Hay and Chamomile actually hay? And what the f*#$@ is beach mustard? And how do those prices translate into real money?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't tell you if they drink hay or what beach mustard is, but I can tell you that if you divicde the amount in kronner by 7, you should get an idea of the cost in real money. :D

    ReplyDelete